Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Draw Cut Line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good morning,

I use Cut Lines on a specified plane within the "Data Set" section, in order to establish a measurement path for post-processing.

The goal is to compute the electric field on a specified zone.

I have two questions :

- to verify the position of the cut line (after having inserted the parameters for the start/end of the line...) I usually plot it on the geometry. This operation ("draw a line") requires several minutes to be completed. Why is this the case ? I have a powerful Workstation, so it is not a problem of computational power.

- Is there a way to define the resolution of the "Cut Line" ? How many point/unit of length are computed ?

- Is there a way to define different shapes within the dataset section (arc ?) In some occasions, you want to know the electric field along a curved line (which might not have a "simple" definition for its analytic expression...)

Thanks,

Daniele

2 Replies Last Post Aug 23, 2017, 7:49 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 23, 2017, 7:36 a.m. EDT
I tend to use the Parametric Curve data set rather than the line. It is possible to set the resolution of the data-set with the Parametric Curve (2D or 3D), but I cannot see a way to do the same for the Cut Line dataset. I am not sure why your Cut Line is taking so long to plot without seeing the model.

A parametric curve can easily define a straight line if you so wish...
I tend to use the Parametric Curve data set rather than the line. It is possible to set the resolution of the data-set with the Parametric Curve (2D or 3D), but I cannot see a way to do the same for the Cut Line dataset. I am not sure why your Cut Line is taking so long to plot without seeing the model. A parametric curve can easily define a straight line if you so wish...

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 23, 2017, 7:49 a.m. EDT
The resolution of cut lines is controlled by the resolution of the underlying mesh and by the resolution setting in the Quality section in plots. If you need full control over the resolution, then I recommend the Parameterized Curve data set.
The resolution of cut lines is controlled by the resolution of the underlying mesh and by the resolution setting in the Quality section in plots. If you need full control over the resolution, then I recommend the Parameterized Curve data set.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.