Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Center line velocity of curved 3D pipe visualized in 1D line graph

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I want to plot the center line velocity of a curved 3D pipe over the arc length which has several curvatures with different angles.

In the application library the example "Flow Through a Pipe Elbow" (www.comsol.de/model/flow-through-a-pipe-elbow-12221) exist.

Taking this example, how could I plot the center line velocity over the arc length? I want to compare the results with a 2D axis symmetric solution. In this case it is simple, just taking the axis of symmetry as data set and plot it.

Best regards

Andreas

1 Reply Last Post Sep 5, 2017, 1:34 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 5, 2017, 1:34 p.m. EDT
Got a response from support.
There is no direct way to do this with this geometry.

Two possibilities to solve this problem.

1. Re-create the geometry e.g. using a polygon/Bézier and a perpendicular work plane that is swept along the polygon. In this way, you receive a 3D pipe with a line in the center. For the sweep "Include all inputs in Form Union/Assembly " has to be selected.

2. Work with curvilinear coordinates: www.comsol.de/blogs/using-curvilinear-coordinates/

I decided to re create the geometry with Bézier polygons. It woked fine.

Special thanks to the support!
Got a response from support. There is no direct way to do this with this geometry. Two possibilities to solve this problem. 1. Re-create the geometry e.g. using a polygon/Bézier and a perpendicular work plane that is swept along the polygon. In this way, you receive a 3D pipe with a line in the center. For the sweep "Include all inputs in Form Union/Assembly " has to be selected. 2. Work with curvilinear coordinates: https://www.comsol.de/blogs/using-curvilinear-coordinates/ I decided to re create the geometry with Bézier polygons. It woked fine. Special thanks to the support!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.