Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Potential errors with Surface Maximum node

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm curious about how maximum value measurements are found in FEM, in particular: results using the Surface Maximum node. I know that issues of infinite stress can arise at corners in structural modeling and I wonder if I am experiencing something similar in a heat transfer model.

I am modeling a half channel of a heat exchanger. I have noticed something odd while performing a mesh sensitivity analysis. Sparing you all of the details, one of the measurements I am interested in is the maximum temperature on the channel wall. To find this I am using a Surface Maximum node. As I refine the mesh initially (from 10,000 elements to 20,000, to 30,000...) the max values and my other measurements do not change (<0.5% difference). If I continue to refine the mesh (60,000+ elements) the max temperature begins to rise and shows no signs of leveling off. All other measurements I'm taking remain the same as they did with a coarser mesh. I have found the same issue with maximum heat flux. Is this some type of numerical error, or artifact of FEM? Or is it actually physically meaningful?

Thank you for the help,
Bryan

0 Replies Last Post Sep 11, 2017, 6:50 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bryan Burk

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.