Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Challenge in meshing model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having a challenge in meshing my model. Please, find the attached model and help me. Thank you.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 14, 2017, 8:18 a.m. EDT
Gerard Hegemans COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 13, 2017, 5:12 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Sep 13, 2017, 5:12 a.m. EDT

Hello Samuel,

I see that it is a thin walled structure which (usually) does not lend itself for full automatic "free tetrahedral" meshing unless you are prepared to accept a huge number of elements. Instead you would want to explore the "swept" mesher but this has some constraints: in the direction of the sweep the geometry needs to be similar in form meaning similar edges and faces.

The best way to take that into account is when creating the geometry. As illustration I have reworked your model including meshing by means of a setp-by-step approach. See if you like the way the model is build.

Gerard Hegemans COMSOL The Netherlands

Hello Samuel, I see that it is a thin walled structure which (usually) does not lend itself for full automatic "free tetrahedral" meshing unless you are prepared to accept a huge number of elements. Instead you would want to explore the "swept" mesher but this has some constraints: in the direction of the sweep the geometry needs to be similar in form meaning similar edges and faces. The best way to take that into account is when creating the geometry. As illustration I have reworked your model including meshing by means of a setp-by-step approach. See if you like the way the model is build. Gerard Hegemans COMSOL The Netherlands

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 13, 2017, 10:06 a.m. EDT

Hi Gerard,

Thank you so much. I tried to run the solution for stationary study on the modified model. It was not successful. This was the error message:

Failed to find a solution. The relative residual (9e+005) is greater than the relative tolerance. There was a warning message from the linear solver. Iterative refinement triggered. Returned solution is not converged.

Hi Gerard, Thank you so much. I tried to run the solution for stationary study on the modified model. It was not successful. This was the error message: Failed to find a solution. The relative residual (9e+005) is greater than the relative tolerance. There was a warning message from the linear solver. Iterative refinement triggered. Returned solution is not converged.

Sergey Yankin COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 14, 2017, 8:18 a.m. EDT

I guess you need to fix model somewhere or apply Rigid Motion Suppression constraint.

-------------------
Sergey Yankin
www.linkedin.com/in/sergey-yankin/
I guess you need to fix model somewhere or apply Rigid Motion Suppression constraint.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.