Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

last time step did not converge when deleting the outlet or outflow in physical fields

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating the process of ice melting. I used the physical fields of laminar two-phase flow(phase field) and heat transfer in fluids. First time the computation gave a reasonable result with the outlet boundary added. But then I thought no ice or water came out in the process. So I deleted the outlet boundary and then an error appeared: last time step did not converge. Has anyone ever seen this problem?ps: after I adjusted the model and added the gravity, the results seemed very irrational——the ice decreased at first and then increased greatly.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 21, 2017, 1:32 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Sep 21, 2017, 1:32 p.m. EDT

Hello ,

I think this problm occurs if your time step is too large. Try decreasing the time step by an order of magnitude and it should work. Also, try constant step size (instead of logarithmic).

Hope that helps.

Vaidehi

Hello , I think this problm occurs if your time step is too large. Try decreasing the time step by an order of magnitude and it should work. Also, try constant step size (instead of logarithmic). Hope that helps. Vaidehi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.