Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply a boundary condition in acoustic problems in 2D!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to simulate a boundary condition applied to a plane as sound waves transmitted from a very far point source. For exemple, I want to simulate the sound waves transmitted through a system from a 50 meters away point source. However, we can not simulate it in COMSOL. So I want to simulate a boundary condition in front of the system as sound waves come from a source point. How can I do that?

I have attached an image below how I want it to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

1 Reply Last Post Oct 3, 2017, 8:35 a.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 3, 2017, 8:35 a.m. EDT

Actually, you can simulate distant acoustic point source in Comsol. Use "Background Pressure Field" option to specify source location and specify "Pressure field type" (Cylindrical wave in 2D or Spherical wave in 3D) to represent point source, as shown in the attached conceptual example. If your system is solid then use "Acoustic-Solid Interaction, Frequency Domain" physics interface to account for interaction of the acoustic wave with your system.

Regards, Sergei

Actually, you can simulate distant acoustic point source in Comsol. Use "Background Pressure Field" option to specify source location and specify "Pressure field type" (Cylindrical wave in 2D or Spherical wave in 3D) to represent point source, as shown in the attached conceptual example. If your system is solid then use "Acoustic-Solid Interaction, Frequency Domain" physics interface to account for interaction of the acoustic wave with your system. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.