Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Utilizing model antisymmetry in Electrostatics and Electric Currents interfaces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I would like to save some processing and memory requirements by utilizing the symmetry and antisymmetry in my models (Electrostatics and Electric Currents physical interfaces). I can impose the symmetry by using "Electric Insulation" boundary condition, but I do not know how (or whether it is even possible) to use the antisymmetry here. Although the problem I am solving is slightly more complicated, its essence can be demonstrated by the following simple example.

Consider a geometry containing just of a unit sphere. On the surface of the sphere we apply a potential boundary conditions of the form , where and are the spherical coordinates. When plotted, it looks like this (potential_boundary_condition.png):

[https://imgur.com/SZE6uNa]

Now, I want to solve for the electric potential inside the whole sphere. Because of the obvious (anti)symmetry, it is tempting to split the simulation domain and consider only one quadrant of the whole geometry (keep in mind that I would like to use these principles in solving more complex but still (anti)symmetrical models). Is it possible to impose an antisymmetry condition to the highlighted faces (antisymmetry_faces.png)?

[https://imgur.com/a/127Kl]

I found out that in some physics interfaces, this is possible (e.g., the Perfect Magnetic Conductor Boundary Condition). But is it possible in electric currents or electrostatics interface?

Thanks for any advice. Tomas

I am using Comsol v5.1.

0 Replies Last Post Oct 5, 2017, 10:05 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tomas Michalek

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.