Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is the difference between surface integration and surface average

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Please, I have a question? I am calculating the electric field in GaAs which has a gold nanostructure on the top. I want to know what is the difference between using surface integration and surface average. When I use both I get diefferent results and I really confused which one should I use to get the real values of electric field in the GaAs.

Thanks, Ahmad,

4 Replies Last Post Oct 19, 2017, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 19, 2017, 3:51 p.m. EDT

The surface average is the integral of the quantity divided by the surface area over which it is integrated.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
The surface average is the integral of the quantity divided by the surface area over which it is integrated. Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 19, 2017, 4:35 p.m. EDT

Thanks, Jeff for your response. I just want to clarify something. I want to know which one should I use in my case cz I got the different trend and I do not know which one is the right one.

Thanks, Jeff for your response. I just want to clarify something. I want to know which one should I use in my case cz I got the different trend and I do not know which one is the right one.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 19, 2017, 5:43 p.m. EDT

Can you clarify what it is that you are trying to get out of that simulation and how either the average or integral comes in?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Can you clarify what it is that you are trying to get out of that simulation and how either the average or integral comes in? Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 19, 2017, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Oct 20, 2017, 12:06 p.m. EDT

I am sweping a structure width of gold which placed on the top of GaAs. Light is normally incident on the structure. I want to calculate the light intensity in the GaAs. which one should I use surface integration or surface average to get the right values? I am using this equation (emw.normE^2). I attached two imgs

I am sweping a structure width of gold which placed on the top of GaAs. Light is normally incident on the structure. I want to calculate the light intensity in the GaAs. which one should I use surface integration or surface average to get the right values? I am using this equation (emw.normE^2). I attached two imgs

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.