Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Blood Flow & Introduction of Second Fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm new to COMSOL in general, and have so far only used the program for very basic CFD analysis of a microfluidics device that I've created. I have looked around, and can't seem to find the information I'm looking for, and was hoping you could help.

First, I want to be able to model blood flow through my microfluidics device. I've only been using water, as blood isn't a built-in option. I did find a paper provided by COMSOL about a group that used blood flow in their vasular model, but can't figure out a way to translate the equations and data they acquired for blood flow into my own model (https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/358051/machpaper.pdf).

The second thing I would like to know has to do with introducing a second liquid into the system a delayed time after the first. Essentially I have built a microfluidics network, and would like to flow blood through the network at a constant rate until it has reached equilibrium. At that point, I want to add a highly viscous fluid through a secondary channel into one piece of the network, and see how the blood flow reacts to this new highly viscous fluid.

I understand that this is information that likely can't be answered in a single post, but if you could direct me to papers, videos, or other resources where I could learn to do some of these things, that would be incredibly helpful!

0 Replies Last Post Nov 10, 2017, 6:11 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bryant Green

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.