Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nonlinear boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, Supposing that we have a given structure in 2D Solid Mechanics simulation. We need to apply a boudary condition 'A' on a boundary named 'x' (a boudary force on face number 20 for example). The boundary condition 'A' is related to the vertical displacement 'v' of the boundary 'y' different than 'x'. How I can express this? For example, can I write A=A0v{y}?? I have already notice that we can write A=fct(v) which means that the boudary condition 'A' of the boudary 'x' is related to the vertical displacement of the same boundary 'x'. It seems to me that it is possible to do the same thing but with the displacement of another boundary 'y' but I dont know how to do it!! Thanks in advance for your responses Khaled

3 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2017, 10:59 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 15, 2017, 7:59 a.m. EST

Hello Khaled,

You can use a component coupling to make the displacement from boundary 'y' available on boundary 'x'. If you have not used component couplings before, you'll want to read the section on them in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, version 5.3, page 294 and following. Page 297 includes an example very similar to what you want to do.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Khaled, You can use a component coupling to make the displacement from boundary 'y' available on boundary 'x'. If you have not used component couplings before, you'll want to read the section on them in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual, version 5.3, page 294 and following. Page 297 includes an example very similar to what you want to do. Best, Jeff

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 15, 2017, 10:49 a.m. EST

Hello Jeff, Thanks alot for your answer! From all the operators list under the Components Couplings menu I can't find any "get" operator. It seems that it is mandatory to post-process the displacement by an integration, average, min or max before it can be used in the simulation. Like for example, if I want to have the full displacement field of the boudary 'y' and use it in the computation of the boudary condition 'A' of the boudary 'x'. How can I do it? Many thanks, Khaled

Hello Jeff, Thanks alot for your answer! From all the operators list under the *Components Couplings* menu I can't find any "get" operator. It seems that it is mandatory to post-process the displacement by an integration, average, min or max before it can be used in the simulation. Like for example, if I want to have the full displacement field of the boudary 'y' and use it in the computation of the boudary condition 'A' of the boudary 'x'. How can I do it? Many thanks, Khaled

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 15, 2017, 10:59 a.m. EST

Please review the documentation I referenced earlier. If problems persist, please contact support@comsol.com for assistance.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Please review the documentation I referenced earlier. If problems persist, please contact support@comsol.com for assistance. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.