Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem solving a flow with inlet pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have to model a flow of Helium inside a micronozzle (inlet diameter = 5 mm and outlet diameter = 1mm) and all I am given is the inlet pressure (30 bars), and the pressure at the other side of the micronozzle is ambiant pressure. The tube is 23 mm. The issue I'm facing is that the solver can't find a solution if I just put an inlet and outlet with pressure, no viscous stress as BC. I tryied both laminar and turbulent flow.

I know it has been discussed a few times in the forum but I wasn't able to find a thread resolving my problem. I don't know if I missed something in comsol or simply with the actual phenomena.

If someone knows what I could do step by step, Thanks in advance!

2 Replies Last Post Nov 22, 2017, 9:59 a.m. EST

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 22, 2017, 9:43 a.m. EST

Hi,

When you define inlet pressure and outlet pressure you turn to "hindered" convergence. Well-posed CFD problems always combine velocity-pressure conditions, e.g. velocity at inlet and pressure at outlet or vice versa. When you'd like to define pressure at inlet and outlet - you have to seriously refine grid at inlet where the pressure is greater.

Hi, When you define inlet pressure and outlet pressure you turn to "hindered" convergence. Well-posed CFD problems always combine velocity-pressure conditions, e.g. velocity at inlet and pressure at outlet or vice versa. When you'd like to define pressure at inlet and outlet - you have to seriously refine grid at inlet where the pressure is greater.

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 22, 2017, 9:59 a.m. EST

Thanks Vasily, I still have the same problem. I tried to refine the mesh at the inlet of the micronozzle but the same error persists. How should i do step by step?

Thanks Vasily, I still have the same problem. I tried to refine the mesh at the inlet of the micronozzle but the same error persists. How should i do step by step?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.