Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Apply current to a perfect electric conductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I wanted to see if there was a way to apply current to a perfect electric conductor I have defined in the RF module? I am trying to apply current to a design and then send frequency and see it's respective transmission and reflection. However, I am not sure how to simply apply current to the conductor as it is in the RF module.

Thanks in advance,

-KY

3 Replies Last Post Apr 30, 2018, 6:10 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Dec 22, 2017, 11:37 p.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Dec 22, 2017, 11:38 p.m. EST

Yes, you can apply surface currents to a perfect conductor in the RF module. Normally, one applies port boundary conditions (there are several types available) when setting up current-driving (or wave-launching) configurations, especially when one is interested in computing reflected and transmitted waves. I encourage you to take a look at some of the examples provided with the applications library for the RF module to learn how this is done and to learn more about the boundary-condition setting tools, and post-processing tools, which are provided to make it easier for you to both set up your problems and analyze the results.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Yes, you can apply **surface** currents to a perfect conductor in the RF module. Normally, one applies port boundary conditions (there are several types available) when setting up current-driving (or wave-launching) configurations, especially when one is interested in computing reflected and transmitted waves. I encourage you to take a look at some of the examples provided with the applications library for the RF module to learn how this is done and to learn more about the boundary-condition setting tools, and post-processing tools, which are provided to make it easier for you to both set up your problems and analyze the results.

Posted: 6 years ago Dec 26, 2017, 10:46 p.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Dec 26, 2017, 10:54 p.m. EST

Robert,

Thank you for your response. I wanted to see if you had an example in mind that would work? I couldn't find any that had a great example. Moreover, I wanted to see if i could apply any Amperage to a conductor in the RF module? I wasn't able to tell if i could actually have that type of control. In general, I was trying to send a wave from the top place(to the bottom) of the piece and have a piece that acted like a exposed wire that had 0-15 Amps applied through it(right plane to left plane of the piece) so i can graph the response of 0-15 amps with the transmission and reflection. I thought I had to use the AC/DC module to to get this type of control and get accurate current on the conductor/exposed wire, but I couldn't figure out how to do that either as I am very new to comsol.

Thanks,

-KY

Robert, Thank you for your response. I wanted to see if you had an example in mind that would work? I couldn't find any that had a great example. Moreover, I wanted to see if i could apply any Amperage to a conductor in the RF module? I wasn't able to tell if i could actually have that type of control. In general, I was trying to send a wave from the top place(to the bottom) of the piece and have a piece that acted like a exposed wire that had 0-15 Amps applied through it(right plane to left plane of the piece) so i can graph the response of 0-15 amps with the transmission and reflection. I thought I had to use the AC/DC module to to get this type of control and get accurate current on the conductor/exposed wire, but I couldn't figure out how to do that either as I am very new to comsol. Thanks, -KY

Posted: 6 years ago Apr 30, 2018, 6:10 p.m. EDT
Updated: 6 years ago Apr 30, 2018, 6:12 p.m. EDT

The post is more valuable for me.I am very interested in which metterical are better conductors use in insulators. Internet Explorer 10 support

The post is more valuable for me.I am very interested in which metterical are better conductors use in insulators. [Internet Explorer 10 support](https://ie10support.com/)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.