Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid-Fluid Interface in Ultrasound Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model ultrasonic wave propagation in the cross-section of a femur bone, using the Convected Wave Equation in the Acoustics module, starting with a very simplified model. I have one small rectangle representing a point source, one large rectangle representing the bone, and a small square "hole" in the middle representing the fluid. Since the acoustic impedance of the bone and the fluid are different, the wave should behave differently when it enters the fluid, but it continues as if if it was still propagating in bone. I think I have to put in an acoustic impedance boundary condition on the square, but COMSOL isn't allowing me to do that. If I delete the square in the middle, I can then put in an acoustic impedance boundary condition, but as a result I can only see the wave propagation in the bone, whereas I need to see it in both the fluid and the bone.

How can I set the geometry/physics/boundary conditions so that I can see the wave propagation in both the fluid and the bone?

Thanks for any help!

0 Replies Last Post Feb 27, 2018, 2:51 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ryan Young

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.