Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

creating a contact boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model the contact surfaces of two objects. At room temperature, both surfaces are in tight fit situation, which there is pressure on both surfaces. As the surrounding temperature goes up, the two objects having negative coefficients of thermal expansion will shrink and a gap should be formed between the two surfaces.

I drew 2 rectangles representing the 2 objects, however, the contacting surfaces were interpreted as an interior boundary when I tried to specify the boundary conditions. The result seemed to considered both objects as one whole.

Is there any way I can specify that on that same line, there are 2 different surfaces? Thank you for any advice.

John

2 Replies Last Post Jul 15, 2009, 11:12 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 14, 2009, 3:17 a.m. EDT
Dear John,

I think that your problem is related with the geometry of your model.
You have to use the assembly mode with contact pair.
You can find the assembly mode and contact pair options under the draw menu.

Eros
Dear John, I think that your problem is related with the geometry of your model. You have to use the assembly mode with contact pair. You can find the assembly mode and contact pair options under the draw menu. Eros

David Wenger Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 15, 2009, 11:12 a.m. EDT
You can also use Coupling Variables.

Regards

David
www.comsol.de/company/consultants/wenger/
You can also use Coupling Variables. Regards David www.comsol.de/company/consultants/wenger/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.