Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

m file = history file ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I use the 3.2 version. When I save the model as an m-file, it seems that it saves all the modifications performed since the creation of the mph file. It is a model that I have been using for a long time, and it generates a very large m file. So when I run it in comsol script, it tries to run the solver as many times as I did since I created the model...
How could I just save the model "current state" ?

thank you

2 Replies Last Post Nov 20, 2009, 4:23 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 19, 2009, 3:01 p.m. EST
Hi

in pre V3.5a the now "history" file was a cummulative .m file, indeed.
You have either to sort it by hand, checking that you have all the sections, or you can also do a "File reset model" + "save" to compact it, BUT this will remouve all meshes and solutions + might well save your nicely created COMSOL geometry to a compact binary file, that you cannot easily edit.

On the other hand, studying the ".m" file gives you good insights into COMSOL internals, which is rather useful.

A little cavat: my experience started with V3.3, but I was rapidly using 3.4, 3.5, etc, so I hope there are not to many extra changes between 3.2 and 3.4

Good luck
Ivar
Hi in pre V3.5a the now "history" file was a cummulative .m file, indeed. You have either to sort it by hand, checking that you have all the sections, or you can also do a "File reset model" + "save" to compact it, BUT this will remouve all meshes and solutions + might well save your nicely created COMSOL geometry to a compact binary file, that you cannot easily edit. On the other hand, studying the ".m" file gives you good insights into COMSOL internals, which is rather useful. A little cavat: my experience started with V3.3, but I was rapidly using 3.4, 3.5, etc, so I hope there are not to many extra changes between 3.2 and 3.4 Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 20, 2009, 4:23 a.m. EST
Ok, thank you. So I think I will sort it by hand. It can't be bad to understand things better.

thanks
Ivan
Ok, thank you. So I think I will sort it by hand. It can't be bad to understand things better. thanks Ivan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.