Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error: 6199 Attempt to evaluate real square root of negative number.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I get this error very often in fluid mechanics simulations. What are some of your best practices to handle this; what are the first things you would check?

Thanks,
Ozgur

4 Replies Last Post Sep 27, 2013, 7:48 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 19, 2009, 3:06 p.m. EST
Hi Osgur,

for me the first thouth would be to turn on "complex numbers" in the solver section, but I expect that you have already done that, thereafter I do not really know where to look, apart that the error message details might give you some more clues.

I have heard that COMSOL will improve the merror messages exlanations in V4, there were already a few nice examples in the beta version

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Osgur, for me the first thouth would be to turn on "complex numbers" in the solver section, but I expect that you have already done that, thereafter I do not really know where to look, apart that the error message details might give you some more clues. I have heard that COMSOL will improve the merror messages exlanations in V4, there were already a few nice examples in the beta version Good luck Ivar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2009, 4:59 a.m. EST
Hi again

there is the other issue about possible complex results from solving "real" equations, if you have functions, you need to define their derivatives too, and you should also tell it to use only the real or imaginary part when the two are possible, mostly only one is "physical" and COMSOL cannot decide alone

and if you play with complex values in functions and equations you are aware of the "realdot" operator issue see Guide V3.5a p168+

and the PHASOR VARIABLE representations p182+
or THE IMPORTANCE OF A CORRECT JACOBIAN MATRIX p382,
or WORKING WITH COMPLEX-VALUED PROBLEMS p 383+ ....

Hope this can help you on your way
Ivar
Hi again there is the other issue about possible complex results from solving "real" equations, if you have functions, you need to define their derivatives too, and you should also tell it to use only the real or imaginary part when the two are possible, mostly only one is "physical" and COMSOL cannot decide alone and if you play with complex values in functions and equations you are aware of the "realdot" operator issue see Guide V3.5a p168+ and the PHASOR VARIABLE representations p182+ or THE IMPORTANCE OF A CORRECT JACOBIAN MATRIX p382, or WORKING WITH COMPLEX-VALUED PROBLEMS p 383+ .... Hope this can help you on your way Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 30, 2010, 7:06 p.m. EST
I happen to have this error in NS equation simulations. Just putting OFF the cornor smoothing from the properties of physics menu would do.
Mak.
I happen to have this error in NS equation simulations. Just putting OFF the cornor smoothing from the properties of physics menu would do. Mak.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 27, 2013, 7:48 p.m. EDT
Where do we find this settings..???
Where do we find this settings..???

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.