Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Exporting data from boundary: Bug!!??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I don't know if I have to say that's a bug or no in COMSOL??

I have noticed that when I try to plot a variable along some Boundary by using domain plot parameters. Comsol plots them correctly. But if I want to export the data as ASCII file, the software exports them but not in the right order e.g. not in ascending order. So I had to rearrange the data again. It is so weird !!

P.S: Along this boundary, the mesh is moving (it is a time dependent problem) So I am suspecting this point!!

Anyone has faced this problem before??

Cheers,

5 Replies Last Post Nov 21, 2009, 7:40 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 20, 2009, 8:32 a.m. EST
Hi

I have also seen this for long listings, it's correct, and I forgot to submit that case to support the other day.

These are typical cases to submit to SUPPORT.

I believe this has to do with the memory management, have seen similar problems in other softwares, for their graphics too, could be a Java issue.

Mostly you find out how to reorder the data by hand but its annoyng, I agree.

This is one of the very few true "bugs" I have seen so far over the last years of my COMSOL use, most other so called bugs I have observed are misunderstandings on the model build-up and behaviour, we apply quite some level of physics here ;)

Another way to get the data is to catch the command in the history file and import the variables directly into Matlab

For me a good example to submit to support, but send them a model with the error so they can easily reproduce it, otherwise it's difficult for them to understand

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have also seen this for long listings, it's correct, and I forgot to submit that case to support the other day. These are typical cases to submit to SUPPORT. I believe this has to do with the memory management, have seen similar problems in other softwares, for their graphics too, could be a Java issue. Mostly you find out how to reorder the data by hand but its annoyng, I agree. This is one of the very few true "bugs" I have seen so far over the last years of my COMSOL use, most other so called bugs I have observed are misunderstandings on the model build-up and behaviour, we apply quite some level of physics here ;) Another way to get the data is to catch the command in the history file and import the variables directly into Matlab For me a good example to submit to support, but send them a model with the error so they can easily reproduce it, otherwise it's difficult for them to understand Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 20, 2009, 6:08 p.m. EST
I had the same problem earlier this week. Spent a few hours trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually I just had Matlab order them correctly.

I should point out that your problem was with exporting it as an ASCII file, but I actually encountered the same problem with the posteval function on boundaries. Its annoying, but at least there's an easy workaround.

Mike
I had the same problem earlier this week. Spent a few hours trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually I just had Matlab order them correctly. I should point out that your problem was with exporting it as an ASCII file, but I actually encountered the same problem with the posteval function on boundaries. Its annoying, but at least there's an easy workaround. Mike

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2009, 3:05 a.m. EST
Hi

I hope some COMSOL developpers are passing by here to !!

Ivar
Hi I hope some COMSOL developpers are passing by here to !! Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2009, 5:29 a.m. EST
Hi again,

aother way out (hope we do not have the same error is described at p489 [V3.5a] of the User guide:

"Exporting Postprocessing Data to a File"

Ivar
Hi again, aother way out (hope we do not have the same error is described at p489 [V3.5a] of the User guide: "Exporting Postprocessing Data to a File" Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2009, 7:40 a.m. EST
Thanks Ivar and Mike,

There is another problem in the same context: When exporting multiple curves in one plot, the data of the different curves are not separated also, which means that you have to do it by yourself!!!

Yes, I hope that some COMSOL developers are passing by this thread.

Cheers,
Thanks Ivar and Mike, There is another problem in the same context: When exporting multiple curves in one plot, the data of the different curves are not separated also, which means that you have to do it by yourself!!! Yes, I hope that some COMSOL developers are passing by this thread. Cheers,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.