Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issues with 5.3a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was just curious if others are having the same issues as I have been having with 5.3a. My first issue is that I will solve a problem. When I go to do post-processing everything will seem fine, but if I change the variable I am processing the screen locks up and I lose my solution. I know that sounds odd, but I literally lose the solution. The file size even changes! (see images, picture 1 shows the solution, picture 2 shows what I get when I try to view the turbulent viscosity, picture 3 shows my velocity profile when I go back to the velocity plot)

My second issue, which oddly enough is even more annoying than the first, is when I am trying to solve a turbulence problem. I like to use easier to solve turbulence models to get the initial conditons for a more robust physics (like SST). I use to be able to setup my problem so that the first study step solved for wall initialization, the second step was the quicker converging turbulence model, and the third step was the more robust turbulence model. Now, when I click compute, the wall initialization will solve but when it goes to the next study step it tells me that I have the wrong number of degrees of freedom. Even though I have only one physics selected it is trying bringing in the DV's for both turbulence models. I even went in and manually disabled the one physics model and it STILL tried to solve for it in the study step. The only way I was able to work around this was to totally delete the physics from the model. I have never had these issues until this latest iteration of Comsol. Has anyone else had similar issues?

0 Replies Last Post Apr 29, 2018, 4:09 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jason Lerch

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.