Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solution unstable, strongly nonlinear diffusion problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm working currently on a strongly nonlinear diffusion problem. The diffusion coefficient is dependent from the temperature and from a domain variable defined in a separate ODE.

My experience with the model:
- with both BDF and Generalized alpha methods of the time dependent solver I get a nice fast solution in approx. 50-60% cases.
- otherwise with Generalized alpha method the solution diverges showing heating up instead of cooling down or;
- shows noise on the temperature profile.

Any was solution seems to be unstable and therefore can't be used in an optimization loop.
Does anyone have an idea or experience with similar model behavior?

Kind regards,
Oleg

0 Replies Last Post Nov 21, 2009, 10:31 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Oleg Benevolenski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.