Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Confusing Error Message

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I've been working for a bit on a model of a detector using the mf interface from the AC/DC module, but have realized that I muight reformulate the problem using the mef interface (mf doesn't connect to a circuit how I want). I've set up the model the same way for the mef version as I did for mf, and am trying to run it in both stationary and frequency domain studies. However, I get the following error message:

• Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol2/s1) Failed to find a solution. The relative residual (1.1e+011) is greater than the relative tolerance. There was a warning message from the linear solver. Iterative refinement triggered. Returned solution is not converged.

I've attached the model below and was hoping someone could explain how to fix this. It's a pretty simple problem that can be done with pencil and paper, so I suspect that I'm missing some simple technical detail about COMSOL that I haven't found in my online searches so far.

Thanks, Henry

2 Replies Last Post Sep 20, 2018, 5:08 p.m. EDT

Posted: 6 years ago Jul 17, 2018, 5:03 p.m. EDT

Hi Henry,

Have you tried with a finer mesh? Plus, try change the error tolerance and the solver and see if it helps

Regards, Nichal

Hi Henry, Have you tried with a finer mesh? Plus, try change the error tolerance and the solver and see if it helps Regards, Nichal

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago Sep 20, 2018, 5:08 p.m. EDT

Henry,

the air domain needs a higher conductivity, 1 S/m works. I also changed the direct solver to PARDISO, which frequently converges better.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Henry, the air domain needs a higher conductivity, 1 S/m works. I also changed the direct solver to PARDISO, which frequently converges better. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.