Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Recovering full solution when using solver sequence in GUI

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working with a model that has an abrupt change in the source term. This tends to bottleneck my system because the non-linear solver requires very small time steps in order to converge. I have been using the solver manager to set up a sequence that uses large time steps where the source term is constant and very small time steps where the source term changes. This is very intuitive and seems to solve the system just fine. However, when the solver finishes I only have access to the solutions for the last time sequence. I would like to be able to access the solution to all times solved by the sequencer. I understand that this sort of thing would be very simple to do using a Matlab script but since the computer I am working on doesn't have access to Matlab, I was hoping to find a way to do this within the COMSOL GUI.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

1 Reply Last Post Jul 16, 2009, 5:44 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 16, 2009, 5:44 p.m. EDT
Hello

I havn't tried it myself but I would start have a look at "Solve - Parametric Sweep - store intermediate models on file" if its a parametric solver case.

Furthermore, if you you have step functions try to use Heaviside smoothed steps instead of abrupt transitions (see fucntions flc1hs flc2hs flsmhs or flsmsign in the "quick" guide), this could well improve the solver convergance leaving it running by itself.

To find individual items in the documents, I index comsol/doc and use the indexer of MS, or of googe to help me search.

If its a time depending solution try to play with the "Times to store in output" in the "Time stepping" tab

Good luck
Hello I havn't tried it myself but I would start have a look at "Solve - Parametric Sweep - store intermediate models on file" if its a parametric solver case. Furthermore, if you you have step functions try to use Heaviside smoothed steps instead of abrupt transitions (see fucntions flc1hs flc2hs flsmhs or flsmsign in the "quick" guide), this could well improve the solver convergance leaving it running by itself. To find individual items in the documents, I index comsol/doc and use the indexer of MS, or of googe to help me search. If its a time depending solution try to play with the "Times to store in output" in the "Time stepping" tab Good luck

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.