Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

verify solute mass transport.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am testing a simple solute mass transport as attachment. The domain includes a initial concentration of water. There is a injection mass flux on the upper-right boundary and a concentration boundary on the upper-left side. I want to check the mass balance that the difference between the mass concentration solved by solute equation (T~) and mass concentration calculated by injection rate (T*) is zero (consistent) after 1 day run. First I integrated the mass concentration c over the whole domain and then subtracted the initial concentration c_initial which is 150 in my model. Now I multiple porosity and got the mass concentration which is increased due to flux injection. That is T~=theta_s* integral (c-c_initial). On the other hand, from conservation law, T*=integral (J_in - J_out)*dt. Since the injection flux rate R is constant, 3.723863e-5 kg/(m^2 s) in my model. The total injected mass is J_in=R*t. I did this method for my model, But it is not consistent since the difference between T~ and T* is not 0. Could any body give some suggestions/comments on how to check/verify this consistent? or what formulas I need to check/verify this matter?

Thank you in advance.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 13, 2009, 12:33 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Guoxiang liu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.