Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Global variables

Josep Montanyà i Silvestre

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am interested in running a Geometric Parametric Sweep (in connection with SolidWorks), and I would like the Output-Global variable to evaluate, to be the displacement of a given point (from the smsld application mode). How can I define this Global Variable? If it is easier, it would also be posible to evaluate the maximum displacement available anywhere in all the points of the model.

I have not found this information nor any example in the documentation (I have found only for integration coupling variables). I would appreciate any hint to do that.

Thank you in advance,

4 Replies Last Post Aug 24, 2009, 10:58 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 13, 2009, 4:14 a.m. EDT
Dear Josep,
you just need to use an integration coupling variable. With the option "point variables", you integrate any physical quantity on a point, which means that you are simply evaluating its value in that particular point.
Since the default destination of the integration coupling variables is "global", your displacement will be available as a global variable.
I hope this help.

Alessandro
Dear Josep, you just need to use an integration coupling variable. With the option "point variables", you integrate any physical quantity on a point, which means that you are simply evaluating its value in that particular point. Since the default destination of the integration coupling variables is "global", your displacement will be available as a global variable. I hope this help. Alessandro

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 13, 2009, 5:09 a.m. EDT
Hello Joseph.
I am interested in the logical inconsistencies of Relativity Theory. One of those involves Tachyons and I have found problems in determining the values of variables at a single event. This is often a difficult concept for people to grasp. As I read your text, you need to measure Global Variables at a single point. To give a full answer you need to say exactly what you mean by a "single point" and exactly what the variables are. Can you get back to me with those things and I will try to help.
Best wishes
Jim
Hello Joseph. I am interested in the logical inconsistencies of Relativity Theory. One of those involves Tachyons and I have found problems in determining the values of variables at a single event. This is often a difficult concept for people to grasp. As I read your text, you need to measure Global Variables at a single point. To give a full answer you need to say exactly what you mean by a "single point" and exactly what the variables are. Can you get back to me with those things and I will try to help. Best wishes Jim

Josep Montanyà i Silvestre

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 13, 2009, 9:12 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much Alessandro!
Thank you very much Alessandro!

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 24, 2009, 10:58 p.m. EDT
Maybe look up the Dirac delta function ("generalized" function) and consider the "sifting" property. By "event" do you mean an infinitesimal time during which a measurable quantity changes? Are you wrestling with the mathematical or logical description, or is this question related to the uncertainty principle?

Are you intending to relate the question to FEM or COMSOL Multiphysics?
Maybe look up the Dirac delta function ("generalized" function) and consider the "sifting" property. By "event" do you mean an infinitesimal time during which a measurable quantity changes? Are you wrestling with the mathematical or logical description, or is this question related to the uncertainty principle? Are you intending to relate the question to FEM or COMSOL Multiphysics?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.