Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Duffing oscillator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,

I'm doing my Diploma thesis on vibrating structures for Energy Harvesting. Actually, I'm trying to simulate the structures in Comsol, but i face several problems that i cannot solve without help :)

First of all, I am trying to simulate a clamped-clamped cantilever (let's say 750 um length and 60 um width) which is made of different thin layers (all in all 845 nm thick) and has the PDE of motion as following:

kl*u+kn*u^2+c*du/dt +m*d^2u/dt^2=F*sin(w*t)

So this is the so called Duffing oscillator, but I have no clue how to proceed with this nonlinear problem in Comsol. I know that i cannot use the frequency response because it's just for linear problems (at least this is what the support told me). I am also not sure, which application modes fit best for this problem. Actually I'm using the piezo solid application mode, because there is also a piezo layer included in my cantilever.
I have tried the transient analysis, but i do not reach sufficient convergence, especially near the eigenfrequency.

I really hope that someone can help me, because i'm almost desperate :) Maybe someone who has already experience with nonlinear vibrations?

Best regards,

Benedikt

1 Reply Last Post Apr 9, 2014, 11:12 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Benedikt Funke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2014, 11:12 p.m. EDT
Hello Benedikt,

I also meet the same problem with you, the PDE of motion as following:

kl*u+kn*u^3+c*du/dt +m*d^2u/dt^2=F*sin(w*t) , it is similar with yours.

Do you solve the problems? Can you share the experience with me?

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks very much!

Best regards,

Wang
Hello Benedikt, I also meet the same problem with you, the PDE of motion as following: kl*u+kn*u^3+c*du/dt +m*d^2u/dt^2=F*sin(w*t) , it is similar with yours. Do you solve the problems? Can you share the experience with me? Looking forward to your reply! Thanks very much! Best regards, Wang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.