Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Individual Beam Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am analyzing a truss structure using the Beam feature under Structural Mechanics Module. The study completed but I need individual stress values for each member in the truss. Is there any way that I can get a table that will show me the stress in each member? I have done a line maximum with all edges of the model selected. However, this only gives me the max stress of the entire model.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 9, 2018, 3:50 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Nov 9, 2018, 3:50 a.m. EST

Hi Angel,

You can use Export->Data.

For appropriate settings, see the attached screenshot.

Some notes:

• Smoothing must be off. With smoothing, you would get averaging from multiple beams at the common points.
  • 'dom' is the line number. There is no explicit element number. You can visualise the line numbers by selecting 'Show geometry labels' in the settings for the View.
  • In this example there are several beam elements per line.
  • You could use a data set with selections to get a printout for only parts of the structure.
  • It would be possible to create more sophisticated tables using the API for example through model methods or Matlab.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Angel, You can use Export->Data. For appropriate settings, see the attached screenshot. Some notes: * Smoothing must be off. With smoothing, you would get averaging from multiple beams at the common points. * 'dom' is the line number. There is no explicit element number. You can visualise the line numbers by selecting 'Show geometry labels' in the settings for the View. * In this example there are several beam elements per line. * You could use a data set with selections to get a printout for only parts of the structure. * It would be possible to create more sophisticated tables using the API for example through model methods or Matlab. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.