Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding a layer of Silicon Oxide on top of polysilicon

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am new to Comsol, so this may be a dumb question. I am trying to make a thermal actuator using joule heating. I am trying to apply a layer of silicon dioxide on top of polysilicon. I do this by creating a work plane on top of the first layer, and then extruding that work plane. Then I apply the material to the domain that i just created by extruding the work plane. However, when ever I try this I get the following error:

Failed to find a solution. Segregated Step 1 Singular matrix.

There are 968 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable comp1.V. at coordinates: (1,-5,1.5), (1,-5,2), (1,-3,2), (1,-3,1.5), (1,-2,1.5), ... and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix). In Segregated Step 1: Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned.

I'm not really sure what that error means. Additionally, if I set the material of the second layer to polysilicon instead of silicon dioxide (making both layers polysilicon), the error dissapears. I don't know why this is. The file is attached to this post.

0 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2018, 3:10 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello George Alphonse

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.