Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is it possible to rotate the material structure for a 2D model in all cases or is this only possible in 3D?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've searched and seen similar questions posted a number of times, but not really answered. And even through the support it was not clarified for me either. The examples given use 3D not 2D models.

The question normally asked is how to rotate material geometry to represent a particular cut, this is usually a piezoelectric material like LiNbO3, with one of the crystal cuts like 128 YX. And in most cases the person is looking to model in 2D to reduce computational time.

But I would like it clarified if this is possible to do using the 2D modelling or is a rotated cut like this only possible in 3D? From my own searches and reading discussion it seems that only the predefined geometries given for the 2D piezoelectic are possible and as a result you would be required to use the 3D model to represent one of the rotated cuts. Could somebody tell me if this is correct?

And I also had an idea, to try and reduce the 3D set up to 2D, but there may be some potential problems. The idea is to create the 3D model, and set the necessary piezoelectric physics, and then take a workplane of the model, and set the rest of the physics. I've not tried it yet, but curious if someone else may have had success with this approach.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 9, 2018, 11:32 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Czerski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.