Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cylinder has edges on each quadrant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All, When I draw a simple cylinder it has edges such that it looks like the circular face is made of four quadrants. Also when I mesh the structure since they look like edges, the meshing is finer around them. Do I have to have the edges for reasons I don't know ? I would like to have a uniform mesh if possible.

Thanks!

-------------------
Ozan Erturk

2 Replies Last Post Jan 7, 2019, 2:37 p.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 7, 2019, 9:28 a.m. EST

Hello Ozan,

This old thread should help. In addition, since your goal is to generate a uniform mesh, another approach you could take is to mesh one of the end surfaces of the cylinder and then sweeping that mesh through the cylinder. There is a very good video on meshing in the Learning Center: it is here .

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Ozan, [This old thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/32524/meshing-a-cylinder?last=2012-10-25T11:15:41Z) should help. In addition, since your goal is to generate a uniform mesh, another approach you could take is to mesh one of the end surfaces of the cylinder and then sweeping that mesh through the cylinder. There is a very good video on meshing in the Learning Center: it is [here](https://www.comsol.com/learning-center/building-the-mesh-for-a-model-geometry-in-comsol-multiphysics) . Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 7, 2019, 2:37 p.m. EST

Dear Jeff, Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. It is difficult to filter through old entries and find useful ones immediately. As it was mentioned by several different users in the old thread, the edges disappear by "Ignore Edges" in Geometry. Also depending on the fineness and aspect ratio of the cylinder or individual cylinders if you have a stack of them, the edge of meshes may coincide to form a line on the side wall –which I thought I would share.

-Ozan

-------------------
Ozan Erturk
Dear Jeff, Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. It is difficult to filter through old entries and find useful ones immediately. As it was mentioned by several different users in the old thread, the edges disappear by "Ignore Edges" in Geometry. Also depending on the fineness and aspect ratio of the cylinder or individual cylinders if you have a stack of them, the edge of meshes may coincide to form a line on the side wall –which I thought I would share. -Ozan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.