Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Connecting Beam Element and Solid Element

DINESH KUMAR DEVENDIRAN

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate four point bending load test on a beam. I modelled reinforcement as beam element instead of truss and concrete as solid elements. Can anyone suggest me how to define connection between beam and solid element.

2 Replies Last Post Feb 18, 2019, 5:12 a.m. EST

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 17, 2019, 6:37 p.m. EST

1) In the geometry, make the solid and beam touch 2) In the physics menu, add multipysics 3) right click on the multiphyics node and add "Solid Beam Connection" 4) make a fine mesh around the connection

I found that I had to remake the Solid Beam Connection if the topology changes. I also found it tricky to get solver convergence in some circumstances

1) In the geometry, make the solid and beam touch 2) In the physics menu, add multipysics 3) right click on the multiphyics node and add "Solid Beam Connection" 4) make a fine mesh around the connection I found that I had to remake the Solid Beam Connection if the topology changes. I also found it tricky to get solver convergence in some circumstances

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Feb 18, 2019, 5:12 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Feb 18, 2019, 5:12 a.m. EST

Hi,

If you are using the beams as reinforcement bars inside the concrete, the best method is to do exactly as in

https://www.comsol.com/model/concrete-beam-with-reinforcement-bars-10440

Note that you must constrain the beam from rotation around its own axis somewhere, in order to avoid a singular stiffness matrix.

The Solid Beam Connection is not intended for this situation.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, If you are using the beams as reinforcement bars inside the concrete, the best method is to do exactly as in Note that you must constrain the beam from rotation around its own axis somewhere, in order to avoid a singular stiffness matrix. The **Solid Beam Connection** is not intended for this situation. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.