Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Viscoelastic material model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I am quite new to comsol and am trying to incorporate a sliding contact model and viscoelastic material.

I plan to use the parametric solver with time t as parameter (instead of a transient analysis). My question relates to the viscoelastic element of the model.... is it possible to just fill in the G and Tau values in the branches under the physics->subdomain=>material area or should I try to mimic the online viscoelastic material tutorial described in terms of splitting into a stationary and transient analysis?

Has anyone had any success in getting such a model to work and be willing to share it?

Thanks and regards,
Kevin

2 Replies Last Post Dec 27, 2009, 8:19 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 27, 2009, 5:04 a.m. EST
Hi

Havnt tried what you are saying there, but one thing puzzles me: why do you not use the built in transient for the time analysis ?,

Have a look at the "Physics - Equations Systems - Subdomin Settings" (open that window on your screen and look at the "Equation" herader) and consider how it changes when you change the solver mode from transient to parametric (you can have both windows open).

So long you understand what you turn on/off and update the eqautions accordingly you should do well in all cases, but half of the job is already done for you, no ?

Have a nice day
Ivar
Hi Havnt tried what you are saying there, but one thing puzzles me: why do you not use the built in transient for the time analysis ?, Have a look at the "Physics - Equations Systems - Subdomin Settings" (open that window on your screen and look at the "Equation" herader) and consider how it changes when you change the solver mode from transient to parametric (you can have both windows open). So long you understand what you turn on/off and update the eqautions accordingly you should do well in all cases, but half of the job is already done for you, no ? Have a nice day Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 27, 2009, 8:19 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,
Thanks for your response. Yeah I originally thought that using a transient analysis would be the best way to go.... However according to the documentation supplied with the software it is not possible to use contact pairs with the tranient solver.

I am still working on trying to implement the viscoelastic behaviour in my model, so if you have any additional suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Kevin

Hi Ivar, Thanks for your response. Yeah I originally thought that using a transient analysis would be the best way to go.... However according to the documentation supplied with the software it is not possible to use contact pairs with the tranient solver. I am still working on trying to implement the viscoelastic behaviour in my model, so if you have any additional suggestions I would really appreciate it. Best regards, Kevin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.