Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase change and Fluid flow.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi im trying to simulate a process in wich Ethylene Glycol is heated beyond the boiling point (inducing phase change). I need to evaluate the phase change, and the fluid flow due to the change in density of this process. The problem I'm facing is that it looks like if there is a phase change, the fluid flow due to the phase change has a sudden change and this makes the simulation not converge. I've tried coupling with non-isothemal flow and it runs until the model reaches boiling temperature. I've used laminar flow and turbulent k-epsilon model. The thing is all the examples I've seen from the comsol page or the community where there is a two phase flow and its not bubbly, they ussually use Level Set, Moving Mesh or Phase Field as the interfase tracking method but in my case I don't have an initial interfase defined given that it is created when the fluid boils. Also the time-scale is in nanoseconds and lenght-scale is in micrometers for this problems.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 28, 2019, 3:54 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Enrique Santana

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.