Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Buckling Analysis of Composite Plate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I have been tried unixal buckling analyisis of composite plate( for comparasion of Ansys results). But I guess failed some reason about boundary conditions, every time. In my scneraio, plate length (a) 100 mm, width (b) 100 mm. Each ply thickness 2mm and total thickness 10 mm, sequence of laminate [0, 90, 0, 90, 0], boundray condition simply supported (ss) and force: unaxial compression 10MPa. But I can't never set up exact boundary condition. In my knowledge (probably I'm wrong) Simply supported BC means, all edges are ''0'' in cartesian coordinate (x, y, z) system.

I used ''3D wizard>Strucutral Mechanics>Layered Shell(for physic)'' path for analysis in Comsol. Maybe this path wrong!

Please help me, thanks for all for attention.

1 Reply Last Post Apr 22, 2019, 1:56 a.m. EDT
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 22, 2019, 1:56 a.m. EDT

Hi Emre,

Simply supported boundary condition (on an edge) means, all displacements (u,v,w) are constrained and all rotations (thx, thy, thz) are allowed. In Shell based formulation, only constraining the displacements works however in Solid (or Layered Shell) based formulation, displacements need to be constrained at a specified position in thickness direction in order to allow the rotations.

In Layered Shell interface, in order to simulate Simply Supported boundary condition, you should use Fixed Constraint, Interface or Prescribed Displacement Interface. As opposed to Fixed Constraint or Prescribed Displacement, these boundary conditions allow the rotations and constraints only the displacement at the given position in thickness direction.

Alternatively, you can use Shell interface for modeling a composite plate using ESL theory. In this interface, you need to choose Layered Linear Elastic material for simulating a composite plate and the simply supported boundary condition is readily available.

You can contact COMSOL support for more details.

Best regards, Pawan Soami

Hi Emre, Simply supported boundary condition (on an edge) means, all displacements (u,v,w) are constrained and all rotations (thx, thy, thz) are allowed. In Shell based formulation, only constraining the displacements works however in Solid (or Layered Shell) based formulation, displacements need to be constrained at a specified position in thickness direction in order to allow the rotations. In Layered Shell interface, in order to simulate Simply Supported boundary condition, you should use Fixed Constraint, Interface or Prescribed Displacement Interface. As opposed to Fixed Constraint or Prescribed Displacement, these boundary conditions allow the rotations and constraints only the displacement at the given position in thickness direction. Alternatively, you can use Shell interface for modeling a composite plate using ESL theory. In this interface, you need to choose Layered Linear Elastic material for simulating a composite plate and the simply supported boundary condition is readily available. You can contact COMSOL support for more details. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.