Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Statics analysis of Multi-body dynamics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I made a mass, spring, damping system with multibody dynamics component. I already fished analysis of time depent motion with my system. but, it has a lot of errors when I solve this system with stationary solver. include symetric matrix error, singular matrix error, division by zero, etc ...

I want to know how can I do static analysis with my multibody dynamics system.

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post May 14, 2019, 1:57 a.m. EDT
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago May 14, 2019, 1:57 a.m. EDT

Hello Park,

It is difficult to say anything without seeing the model file however a fundamental difference between a time dependent analysis and stationary analysis is the presence of inertia and damping forces (or resistances) which are included in the former but not in latter. For a simple system of mass-spring-damper, in stationary analysis, it is just a balance of all spring forces to all applied loads.

So when you have a system, with rigid body dofs (degrees of freedom) present, it is possible to solve in time dependent analysis or frequency domain analysis but not in stationary analysis. Basically in order to find a stationary (static or steady-state) solution, you need to constrain all your bodies (or dofs) either directly or indirectly using constraints or springs.

Regarding the error messages like singular matrix, they will be automatically resolved once there is no rigid body dof in your system. Feel free to get back to me here or write us on support@comsol.com in case of further doubts.

Best regards, Pawan Soami

Hello Park, It is difficult to say anything without seeing the model file however a fundamental difference between a time dependent analysis and stationary analysis is the presence of inertia and damping forces (or resistances) which are included in the former but not in latter. For a simple system of mass-spring-damper, in stationary analysis, it is just a balance of all spring forces to all applied loads. So when you have a system, with rigid body dofs (degrees of freedom) present, it is possible to solve in time dependent analysis or frequency domain analysis but not in stationary analysis. Basically in order to find a stationary (static or steady-state) solution, you need to constrain all your bodies (or dofs) either directly or indirectly using constraints or springs. Regarding the error messages like singular matrix, they will be automatically resolved once there is no rigid body dof in your system. Feel free to get back to me here or write us on support@comsol.com in case of further doubts. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.