Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PARDISO out of core

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

What exactly does this warning mean? I should have a better laptop with more cores?

BR Lasse

2 Replies Last Post May 31, 2019, 3:27 a.m. EDT
Jean-Baptiste Béguin

Posted: 5 years ago May 30, 2019, 7:10 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago May 30, 2019, 7:20 p.m. EDT

Hi Lasse,

I believe that you are experiencing a memory limit warning with PARDISO. When the memory (e.g RAM) used by PARDISO is full, PARDISO tries (if enabled - I think it is enabled by default) to switch from the current in-core mode to an out-of-core mode where it will store/manipulate data on the disk space available in the temporary Comsol folder on your hard drive to continue the calculations. Of course, this will make it very slow as compared to using RAM memory.

JB

Hi Lasse, I believe that you are experiencing a memory limit warning with PARDISO. When the memory (e.g RAM) used by PARDISO is full, PARDISO tries (if enabled - I think it is enabled by default) to switch from the current in-core mode to an out-of-core mode where it will store/manipulate data on the disk space available in the temporary Comsol folder on your hard drive to continue the calculations. Of course, this will make it very slow as compared to using RAM memory. JB

Posted: 5 years ago May 31, 2019, 3:27 a.m. EDT

Thanks!

I can see that Comsol uses ca. 30 GB memory which I have but it is obviously not fully available for Comsol.

Lasse

Thanks! I can see that Comsol uses ca. 30 GB memory which I have but it is obviously not fully available for Comsol. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.