Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I plot elastic deformation versus time in multibody dynamics module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Now I use comsol's multibody dynamics module to analyze a rotate beam. The beam is flexible and hinged at left end and rotate with respect to the left end point . As the beam is flexible, the elastic deformation will appear in the beam due to the rigid motion. I use a simple rectangle to represent the beam and perform the analysis with 2D-Time dependent analysis. I want to show the elastic transverse deformation of the beam's right endpoint in time domain. I searched the variables and didn't find the variables denoting the elastic deformation.

1 Reply Last Post Jun 21, 2019, 12:21 a.m. EDT
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jun 21, 2019, 12:21 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jun 21, 2019, 12:21 a.m. EDT

Dear ZH Lau,

In COMSOL version 5.4, there is a new functionality of "Body defining reference frame" in which you can choose any node defining rigid body motion e.g. Attachment, Rigid Domain etc. This creates new variables "u_ref, .." representing the elastic deformation (total displacement - rigid body displacement) of the body.

In versions prior to 5.4, you can solve the model two times by assuming the body rigid or elastic in two different cases and then take the difference of solution. It is also possible to avoid solving for rigid case however in that scenario you will have to manually create some variables representing rigid body motion.

For both approaches mentioned above, you can refer the helicopter_swashplate model from Application Library.

Best regards, Pawan Soami

Dear ZH Lau, In COMSOL version 5.4, there is a new functionality of "Body defining reference frame" in which you can choose any node defining rigid body motion e.g. Attachment, Rigid Domain etc. This creates new variables "u_ref, .." representing the elastic deformation (total displacement - rigid body displacement) of the body. In versions prior to 5.4, you can solve the model two times by assuming the body rigid or elastic in two different cases and then take the difference of solution. It is also possible to avoid solving for rigid case however in that scenario you will have to manually create some variables representing rigid body motion. For both approaches mentioned above, you can refer the helicopter_swashplate model from Application Library. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.