Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic Fields Time Dependent Solver "Failed to find consistent initial values"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am attempting to model an oscillating magnetic field in the X-Y plane using 2 pairs of helmholtz coils connected to sinsusoidal current sources together with a steady state background magnetic field in the Z-axis. I am intending to add another wire with a steady current later through the Z-axis to observe how the magnetic fields interact.

I have attempted to model it in the frequency domain. However, the background magnetic field is observed to oscillate in the frequency domain. Hence, I would think that the time-dependent solver is the most appropriate to model both steady state and oscillating fields. I am unable to solve in the time-dependent solver as I continuously obtain "Failed to find consistent initial values, last time step is not converged"

I have looked up other discussions like this which talk about boundary conditons but I do not know how many more boundary conditions I could add beeyond the magnetic insulation BC.

My model can be found attached to this post (do ignore all studies aside study 4). I would appreciate any assistance I can receive on my problem. Thank you in advance, I hope you can help me out!

0 Replies Last Post Jun 26, 2019, 3:43 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bryan Teo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.