Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drawing a triangular hole in a cuboid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How can I draw a triangular hole in a rectangular channel? I am currently creating a 2D workplane and after drawing the required geometry in 2D, I am using the difference option. But the triangular region is not being selected. If this would have worked, I would have then used the extrude option.

If anyone has idea regarding this, kindly help.

3 Replies Last Post Jul 19, 2019, 8:36 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 18, 2019, 4:03 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 18, 2019, 3:54 p.m. EDT

Can you upload your mph file?

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Can you upload your mph file?

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 19, 2019, 12:51 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 19, 2019, 12:48 a.m. EDT

Yes.

Yes.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 19, 2019, 8:36 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 19, 2019, 8:27 a.m. EDT

Hi Aashna,

The issue is that before you can subtract a triangle from a rectangle, you need to have a triangle, and in your file there are segments that visually do form a triangle but you have not told the software that you want those three segments turned into a solid triangle. You can do that by converting the three segments into a curve, and then converting the resulting curve into a solid. Then you can select the triangle as the object to subtract from the rectangle.

See the attached file, where I did this for both triangles simulataneously.

Best,

Jeff

PS: If you are starting with COMSOL, I highly recommend binge watching the videos on our Learning Center

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Aashna, The issue is that before you can subtract a triangle from a rectangle, you need to have a triangle, and in your file there are segments that visually do form a triangle but you have not told the software that you want those three segments turned into a solid triangle. You can do that by converting the three segments into a curve, and then converting the resulting curve into a solid. Then you can select the triangle as the object to subtract from the rectangle. See the attached file, where I did this for both triangles simulataneously. Best, Jeff PS: If you are starting with COMSOL, I highly recommend binge watching the videos on our [Learning Center](https://www.comsol.com/learning-center)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.