Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling 2D and 3D models in Comsol

Saheed Ojo Akindeinde

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Please is there a way of storing a solution from a 2D model as a variable, so that it could be used as an initial condition in a 3D model? Or better still, is there a better way of coupling 2D and 3D models in Comsol. your help/hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post Aug 7, 2009, 3:35 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 20, 2009, 8:33 a.m. EDT
Hi Saheed,
I think you have to use coupling variables or identity conditions. The choise between them depends on your problem details.
Coupling variables usually work in a more general context.
Hi.

Alessandro
Hi Saheed, I think you have to use coupling variables or identity conditions. The choise between them depends on your problem details. Coupling variables usually work in a more general context. Hi. Alessandro

Saheed Ojo Akindeinde

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 6, 2009, 11:30 a.m. EDT
Hi all,

I am very grateful for the previous suggestions. However, I'm still unable to couple my models. Can someone pls help me outline the steps involved in using Integration coupling variables or direct me to some materials that explains this in details. I simply want to use the result of my 2D models as a boundary condition in the 3D model.

Thanks very much.

Saheed.
Hi all, I am very grateful for the previous suggestions. However, I'm still unable to couple my models. Can someone pls help me outline the steps involved in using Integration coupling variables or direct me to some materials that explains this in details. I simply want to use the result of my 2D models as a boundary condition in the 3D model. Thanks very much. Saheed.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 7, 2009, 3:35 a.m. EDT
Hi

I suggest that you find your way through the documentation or the help files, but as is often tedious as there is quite a lot to read ;)

What I can suggest to ease the search, is that I index all my COMSOL help and doc files and use MS search (or Google search) on them.

There are many cases and examples in there with coupling variables, try them first, this is a powerfull feature, but as any powerfull element it need some training exercice to handle it correctly

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I suggest that you find your way through the documentation or the help files, but as is often tedious as there is quite a lot to read ;) What I can suggest to ease the search, is that I index all my COMSOL help and doc files and use MS search (or Google search) on them. There are many cases and examples in there with coupling variables, try them first, this is a powerfull feature, but as any powerfull element it need some training exercice to handle it correctly Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.