Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to plot the velocity profile between any two points in Comsol 4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In comsol 3.5, when I want to get the velocity profile from (0,0) to (0,4), I could use postprocessing--> cross section plot parameters --> line plot, then I can input cross section line data. However in Comsol 4.2, when I try to plot 1D plot --> line graph, I can only choose the boudaries as the line. Could you tell me how to plot the velocity profile between any two points in Comsol 4.2? Thank you.

8 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2013, 1:56 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 15, 2011, 2:53 a.m. EST
Hi,

want to know the same. No possibility to do such a plot?

Elmar
Hi, want to know the same. No possibility to do such a plot? Elmar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 15, 2011, 3:01 a.m. EST
Hi,

In the results section under data sets you need to create a 2D/3D Cut Line where you can specify the start and end points, then you can create a 1D plot a choose as a source the Cut Line you created before.

Cheers
Hi, In the results section under data sets you need to create a 2D/3D Cut Line where you can specify the start and end points, then you can create a 1D plot a choose as a source the Cut Line you created before. Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 15, 2011, 3:22 a.m. EST
Hi,

thank you very much for this fast respond.

Have a nice day
Hi, thank you very much for this fast respond. Have a nice day

Saeid Norouzi Apourvari

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2013, 4:21 a.m. EST
Dear Amir,

I am going to plot additional cross sections parallel to the first one I defined. I checked Additional parallel line and entered the range. However when I click on plot icon to see the lines I only could see the first line and subsequently one velocity profile. How could I resolve the problem?
Since I want to take many cross sections I hate to do it manually for each one.

Thanks and regards,
Dear Amir, I am going to plot additional cross sections parallel to the first one I defined. I checked Additional parallel line and entered the range. However when I click on plot icon to see the lines I only could see the first line and subsequently one velocity profile. How could I resolve the problem? Since I want to take many cross sections I hate to do it manually for each one. Thanks and regards,

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2013, 8:57 a.m. EST
Hi

when you add "additional lines" these appear on the positive "s" side, bit this "positive direction" might not be the one you expect, COMSOL has its own way ;) so try with negative values.
Normally in the later versions COMSOL show a small coordinate arrows to define +s and +t (s=along line, t transverse)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi when you add "additional lines" these appear on the positive "s" side, bit this "positive direction" might not be the one you expect, COMSOL has its own way ;) so try with negative values. Normally in the later versions COMSOL show a small coordinate arrows to define +s and +t (s=along line, t transverse) -- Good luck Ivar

Saeid Norouzi Apourvari

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2013, 5:34 p.m. EST
Dear Ivar,

I tried it in your way, but still does not work. Any other recommendation?

Regards,
saeid
Dear Ivar, I tried it in your way, but still does not work. Any other recommendation? Regards, saeid

Saeid Norouzi Apourvari

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2013, 6:36 p.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

You are right, negative distances is working. However, range is not working even when I input negative step size.

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,
saeid
Hi Ivar, You are right, negative distances is working. However, range is not working even when I input negative step size. Thanks for your help, Kind regards, saeid

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2013, 1:56 a.m. EST
Hi

you need a "-range(0,0.1,1)" or a range(0,-0.1,-1) I would expect

the direction of "s" is defined by COMSOL so depending on the observation direction you need either + or - values, the coordinate arrow is there now in the plot to help you decide

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need a "-range(0,0.1,1)" or a range(0,-0.1,-1) I would expect the direction of "s" is defined by COMSOL so depending on the observation direction you need either + or - values, the coordinate arrow is there now in the plot to help you decide -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.