Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Undefined material property 'E' required by Linear Elastic Material 1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

This should be really easy but its driving me nuts. This is the error I get when I hit compute:

Undefined material property 'E' required by Linear Elastic Material 1 - Plot: surf1 (Surface)

I'm sure I have E set as a parameter and used in my material with the right variable and value. I've given this value multiple different names or just typed in the number and still it cannot seem to be used by comsol. Other variables are not giving me any troubles.

I've also tried to set the E at Linear Elastic Material 1 to user defined instead of material and gave the right value but to no avail.

7 Replies Last Post Sep 23, 2019, 9:02 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 18, 2019, 1:37 p.m. EDT

Can you post your .mph file? A screenshot doesn't let other users poke around to see what may be going on elsewhere in your model set-up. If the file is too large to upload, you can clear all solutions and save it under a different name before posting that - it'll be much smaller.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Can you post your .mph file? A screenshot doesn't let other users poke around to see what may be going on elsewhere in your model set-up. If the file is too large to upload, you can clear all solutions and save it under a different name before posting that - it'll be much smaller. Best, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 19, 2019, 8:57 a.m. EDT

Yeah sure, I'm new to comsol and trying to learn.

Yeah sure, I'm new to comsol and trying to learn.

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 19, 2019, 9:22 a.m. EDT

Hello DV, The file you posted doesn't seem to have the "Parameter estimation" node set up. Maybe it's the wrong file?

If I disable that node, the plot is generated without problem.

I also noticed that in the screenshot you attached in your first post there's a reference to a time t=0 in data set 1, which seems wrong since you don't have a transient analysis in the model. Perhaps it was left over from a previous iteration of your model?

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello DV, The file you posted doesn't seem to have the "Parameter estimation" node set up. Maybe it's the wrong file? If I disable that node, the plot is generated without problem. I also noticed that in the screenshot you attached in your first post there's a reference to a time t=0 in data set 1, which seems wrong since you don't have a transient analysis in the model. Perhaps it was left over from a previous iteration of your model? Best, Jeff

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 19, 2019, 9:26 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Sep 19, 2019, 9:27 a.m. EDT

The model you uploaded is not complete. It stops when 'compiling equations'.

Oops, Jeff was quicker ..

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The model you uploaded is not complete. It stops when 'compiling equations'. Oops, Jeff was quicker ..

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 23, 2019, 8:39 a.m. EDT

Hi Jeff,

I just got to looking at it again. The parameter estimation can be disabled, not really sure why it's there. I just wanted to create the von mises plot as my next step. You said that it runs fine when you disable the parameter estimation but I still get the same error message. I included the file this time.

Thanks for helping me!

Hi Jeff, I just got to looking at it again. The parameter estimation can be disabled, not really sure why it's there. I just wanted to create the von mises plot as my next step. You said that it runs fine when you disable the parameter estimation but I still get the same error message. I included the file this time. Thanks for helping me!

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 23, 2019, 8:58 a.m. EDT

Hi D V,

Your file still contains that dubious reference to a time t=0 in the Stress plot group, so I simply solved the model (i.e. I right-click on the Study node and select Compute) and the plot comes out nicely.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi D V, Your file still contains that dubious reference to a time t=0 in the Stress plot group, so I simply solved the model (i.e. I right-click on the Study node and select Compute) and the plot comes out nicely. Best, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 23, 2019, 9:02 a.m. EDT

Ah right, I got it to work. I think the problem was indeed the t=0. Thank you very much!

Ah right, I got it to work. I think the problem was indeed the t=0. Thank you very much!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.