Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is a Pressure Point Constraint? When is it used?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My solution is not converging. The model consists of inlet and outlet pressures. I read online in such cases you can use Pressure Point constraint. But I don't know much about it. Can someone help me out in this.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 17, 2019, 1:41 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Oct 17, 2019, 1:41 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Oct 17, 2019, 9:41 a.m. EDT

The Navier Stokes equation involves the pressure only through its derivatives, so in a NS model you need to specify the pressure at at least one point, otherwise there's an infinite number of solution differing from one another by an arbitrary constant pressure. That's when you want to use the pressure point constraint to fix the pressure at a point.

Since you're imposing the pressure at both the inlet and the outlet, the source of the lack of convergence for your model is different.More likely, there is no solution, or no unique solution, that respects your boundary conditions while satisfying the equation in the domain. It's more typical for inside flow problems to impose the velocity at the inlet and the pressure at the outlet.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
The Navier Stokes equation involves the pressure only through its derivatives, so in a NS model you need to specify the pressure at at least one point, otherwise there's an infinite number of solution differing from one another by an arbitrary constant pressure. That's when you want to use the pressure point constraint to fix the pressure at a point. Since you're imposing the pressure at both the inlet and the outlet, the source of the lack of convergence for your model is different.More likely, there is no solution, or no unique solution, that respects your boundary conditions while satisfying the equation in the domain. It's more typical for inside flow problems to impose the velocity at the inlet and the pressure at the outlet. Hope this helps, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.