Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Will The Unnecessary Line Segments affect Result?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm calculating interaction among electromagnetic field, metal and other fields. I find that the results is very strange when there are unnecessary lines in structure with the same limited mesh size. The strange is that there is something like guided wave between unnecessary lines and metallic boundary. I'm sure that my physical settings are right.

By the way, what I mean unnecessary lines is that adding a line in geometry and create a new domain around the metal. But this line has no physical meaning.

Could anyone tell me if the unnecessary lines will affect the results ?

Thank you very much in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 9, 2019, 9:06 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Nov 9, 2019, 1:43 p.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Nov 9, 2019, 8:43 a.m. EST

Extra/unnecessary lines should not affect results. If you have observed an effect, then this means there is something wrong with your model. The extra lines in your geometry will affect the mesh. However, if the mesh is computationally-appropriate in both cases, then results should not be noticeably different. Your extra lines may be incorrectly tied to an unwanted boundary condition (e.g., a perfect conductor), and if so, that association needs to be removed. Your extra lines may have caused an error in the interpretation of the geometry by the Comsol Multiphysics code. If so, you need to correct that, by either removing those extra lines or by taking other steps to ensure that the code understands (aka, resolves) the geometry as you actually intended it to be. In general, it is a good idea to minimize the presence of unnecessary lines, surfaces, and volumes in a model.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Extra/unnecessary lines *should* not affect results. If you have observed an effect, then this means there is something wrong with your model. The extra lines in your geometry *will* affect the mesh. However, if the mesh is computationally-appropriate in both cases, then results should not be noticeably different. Your extra lines may be incorrectly tied to an unwanted boundary condition (e.g., a perfect conductor), and if so, that association needs to be removed. Your extra lines may have caused an error in the interpretation of the geometry by the Comsol Multiphysics code. If so, you need to correct that, by either removing those extra lines or by taking other steps to ensure that the code understands (aka, resolves) the geometry as you actually intended it to be. In general, it is a good idea to minimize the presence of unnecessary lines, surfaces, and volumes in a model.

Posted: 4 years ago Nov 9, 2019, 9:06 p.m. EST

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.