Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact modelling in a flexion test

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, trying to learn a bit more about contact modelling.

I'm trying to model a simple three point flexion test, with a piece of metal between three rollers, the one on top moves down with a given force, the two on the bottom do not move. However, since a Stationary model did not converge, I decided to do a Time Dependent model to see how the assembly was reacting to the force.

To my surprise, what happens is that the roller that exerts the force bounces of the metal piece, even though the force is not too big and is always acting downward (and if I make it bigger the model will also not converge).

I would appreciate any feedback as to why this happens, since I can't explain it. I'm using Penalty factor method for the contact analysis since the Lagrangian causes the top roller to penetrate the metal piece and I'm still not sure of which adjustments to make to avoid this.

Have a good day.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 11, 2019, 3:39 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alfredo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.