Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Confirmation of the definition s in dr/ds = -1 in the Geometric Optics node of the Ray Optics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, COMSOL Users.

In the Ray Optics module, there are two equations that are and . I used a 3D model in which rays were released from a grid. May you confirm that "s" is the distance each ray has travelled since it was released?

This information is not clear in the Ray Optics User Guide.

I know that and are the first and second principal radii of curvature of a wavefront in 3D.

I am trying to prepare a thesis of work that I did using COMSOL Multiphysics 5.4. In that thesis, I would like to mention all of the equations that were used in the simulations, particularly because the work that I did is theoretical.

These are in the "Ray properties" subsection of the attached document. My Geometry was two unit lenses. The photon energy I used was 23 keV, i.e., in the x-ray range.

The COMSOL products that I used were COMSOL Multiphysics with the Heat Transfer and Ray Optics modules. The Multiphysics that was used was the Ray Heat Source Multiphysics. Perhaps you have seen these variables before if you have used these modules.

Sincerely, Kyrollos

0 Replies Last Post Dec 13, 2019, 12:10 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kyrollos Iskandar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.