Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CPU Maxing Out

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am brand new to COMSOL and just started using the program about 1 week ago, and I am noticing that when running the COMSOL multiphysics solver that my CPU is nearly maxing out (90%+ usage). I believe this is causing my analysis to take large amounts of time to compute and significantly slowing down my workflow. I'm not sure if there are any tips/tricks to improving the performance to help solve this issue so I would appreciate any help.

The CPU I am using is the Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2123 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s).

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post Jan 21, 2020, 6:49 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Jan 7, 2020, 10:57 p.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Jan 9, 2020, 11:27 a.m. EST

Maxing-out the CPU is completely normal. In fact, to get the most speed, you want Comsol Multiphysics to be using as large a fraction of the CPU cycles available, while it is actually number-crunching through your problem. That said, often there are many things you can do (geometry changes, mesh settings, solver settings, etc.) to speed up your computations or to use less memory. If you have particular models for which you seek speed or memory improvements, you may wish to upload them to this forum to seek review/advice by others with more experience. I see you are interested in CFD. In many cases, that means that unless you are doing very simple problems, you may wish to invest in a more powerful computer, if you can afford one. E.g., I would consider one with a dozen or more cores (or more!), and > 128 GB (or more!) of RAM, as essentially "entry-level" for most CFD work. If you have an active license & support, you may also wish to ask the Comsol-Support folks directly about what kind of computer(s) would be suitable for the specific kinds of problems you want to model. Good luck.

See also: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1267 and https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/866

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Maxing-out the CPU is completely normal. In fact, to get the most speed, you *want* Comsol Multiphysics to be using as large a fraction of the CPU cycles available, while it is actually number-crunching through your problem. That said, often there are *many* things you can do (geometry changes, mesh settings, solver settings, etc.) to speed up your computations or to use less memory. If you have particular models for which you seek speed or memory improvements, you may wish to upload them to this forum to seek review/advice by others with more experience. I see you are interested in CFD. In many cases, that means that unless you are doing *very simple* problems, you may wish to invest in a *more powerful* computer, if you can afford one. E.g., I would consider one with a dozen or more cores (or more!), and > 128 GB (or more!) of RAM, as essentially "entry-level" for most CFD work. If you have an active license & support, you may also wish to ask the Comsol-Support folks directly about what kind of computer(s) would be suitable for the specific kinds of problems you want to model. Good luck. See also: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1267 and https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/866

Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Jan 21, 2020, 6:49 a.m. EST

Hi Cody, would it possible for you and your workstation (look at the data sheet) to switch your CPU from XEON W-2123 to XEON W-2195? I performed a CFD benchmark test on a (HP Z4 G4 workstation) Intel XEON W-2195 (18 cores, 36 threads) at the COMSOL Conference 2018 in Lousanne. The workstation was fast! For CFD simulations you should use the iterative GMRES solver with SAMG preconditioning (standard solver) to achieve best performance results. A minimum of 64GB or better 128GB RAM should be enough for most of the CFD models. But this depends on your tasks! Best regards Michael Rembe

-------------------
Michael Rembe
Rembe Consulting PartG mbB
www.rembe-consulting.de

Hi Cody, would it possible for you and your workstation (look at the data sheet) to switch your CPU from XEON W-2123 to XEON W-2195? I performed a CFD benchmark test on a (HP Z4 G4 workstation) Intel XEON W-2195 (18 cores, 36 threads) at the COMSOL Conference 2018 in Lousanne. The workstation was fast! For CFD simulations you should use the iterative GMRES solver with SAMG preconditioning (standard solver) to achieve best performance results. A minimum of 64GB or better 128GB RAM should be enough for most of the CFD models. But this depends on your tasks! Best regards Michael Rembe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.