Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interior Impedance/Pair Impedance for the Pressure Acoustics, Boundary Elements Interface

Jon H Acoustical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Would it be possible to add the Interior Impedance/Pair Impedance BC to the Pressure Acoustics, Boundary Elements Interface? From my knowledge of BEM I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be straightforward.

Same goes for Interior Perforated Plate/Pair Perforated Plate BC, which appears to be a wrapper for the Interior Impedance/Pair Impedance BC.

One could for example then do a simulation comparison* of this experiment: https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.3531804

• in this paper a BEM simulation was run with the perforations explicitly meshed. This wouldn't be necessary with the perforated plate BC.
-------------------
Jonathan Hargreaves

2 Replies Last Post Feb 21, 2020, 4:35 p.m. EST
Mads Herring Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 14, 2020, 9:21 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Feb 14, 2020, 9:25 a.m. EST

Dear Jonathan

This is true, the interior impedance conditons can be added to BEM. Thank you for your feedback.

With regards to the model in the paper, it seems that some of the perforations in the sheets are rather large. I would think that these should be modeled as a geometry feature. For the smaller ones the interior perforated plate is of course good. I would suggest that you combine FEM and BEM for this model. Use FEM in a domain in and arround the perforated sheets and then BEM on the exterior. I also think that this is much more efficent from a computational point of view.

Best regards,
Mads

Dear Jonathan This is true, the interior impedance conditons can be added to BEM. Thank you for your feedback. With regards to the model in the paper, it seems that some of the perforations in the sheets are rather large. I would think that these should be modeled as a geometry feature. For the smaller ones the interior perforated plate is of course good. I would suggest that you combine FEM and BEM for this model. Use FEM in a domain in and arround the perforated sheets and then BEM on the exterior. I also think that this is much more efficent from a computational point of view. Best regards, Mads

Jon H Acoustical Engineering

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 21, 2020, 4:35 p.m. EST

Thanks Mads

-------------------
Jonathan Hargreaves
Thanks Mads

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.