Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

on MacOS system Memory Usage Increase With Looped LiveLink For MATLAB

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Question: How can I eliminate the LiveLink for MATLAB and COMSOL server from storing "things" in my computer memory when I run it on my Macbook?

I have tried all the method on the discussion forum. However,I only found solutions for other systems, but no corresponding solutions for MacOS system. How to solve this problem on the MacOS system?

Situation: I'm solving the simulation with varying parameters in a for loop. Unexpectedly, as the simulation is running the memory usage slowly piles up and the running time of each loop increases. Even after clearing the workspace (clear all), the program comsolmphserver.exe is still consuming a lot of memory and it runs slower. Since I am running many iterations, my computer slowly run out of memory before I can finish all the possible conditions. These different conditions need to be run in a single run for optimization purposes, thus the option of separating them into smaller chuck cannot apply here.

I have tried all the method on the discussion forum like removing all the model objects by using the command: ModelUtil.clear or disabling the model history by using: model.hist.disable.Even after I tried these two commands, the memory usage for the LiveLink server still increase everytime I run the model. And the memory does not reset itself. I have to close the program and rerun it to reset the memory on the MacOs system.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies Last Post Feb 24, 2020, 4:46 a.m. EST
Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 21, 2020, 5:47 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Feb 21, 2020, 7:05 a.m. EST

What version of Comsol are you using?

If you are not using the latest version of Comsol, then please update your system and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem persists, then send your model to support and we'll have a look at it.

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
What version of Comsol are you using? If you are not using the latest version of Comsol, then please update your system and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem persists, then send your model to support and we'll have a look at it.

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 21, 2020, 10:59 a.m. EST

What version of Comsol are you using?

If you are not using the latest version of Comsol, then please update your system and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem persists, then send your model to support and we'll have a look at it.

Hi Lars Gregersen,

My license can only support up to 5.4 which is the latest version I use right now. And the problem still exits.

>What version of Comsol are you using? > >If you are not using the latest version of Comsol, then please update your system and see if that fixes the problem. If the problem persists, then send your model to support and we'll have a look at it. Hi Lars Gregersen, My license can only support up to 5.4 which is the latest version I use right now. And the problem still exits.

Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 24, 2020, 4:46 a.m. EST

We identified some memory related problem in version 5.4. I don't think we got any reports (besides this one) that there should have been any problems on MacOS. Upgrading to the latest version and make sure you have the latest update.

The latest update for Comsol 5.4 is update 4: https://www.comsol.com/product-update

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
We identified some memory related problem in version 5.4. I don't think we got any reports (besides this one) that there should have been any problems on MacOS. Upgrading to the latest version and make sure you have the latest update. The latest update for Comsol 5.4 is update 4: https://www.comsol.com/product-update

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.