Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Materials not effecting electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm trying to take a look at a needle full of liquid that has a high voltage electric current applied to it. The steel needle is enclosed in a steel bulkhead, which is at a high voltage, and is a few millimeters from a grounded electrode.

I've tried simulating this in COMSOL, but I'm confused by a few things. I was expecting to see the entire needle have a high electric potential, since its a conductive metal. But for some reason the needle doesn't seem to have an effect on the electric potential. Also, if I change the needle material to an insulating material it doesn't have an effect on the field shape, which seems counterintuitive to me. Is there a reason for this? And if so, is there a better way to visualise the effect that the material will have on the electic field?

Apologies if this is an bvious question, I'm new to software such as this. I've attached the file I'm talking about, in case I'm not explaining it well.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 3, 2020, 1:20 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 3, 2020, 1:20 p.m. EST

Well, I would model it a bit differently. But one thing I noticed right away is that you set the potential on your bulkhead, but not your needle.
There may be other errors, but you should start with fixing that one.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Well, I would model it a bit differently. But one thing I noticed right away is that you set the potential on your bulkhead, but not your needle. There may be other errors, but you should start with fixing that one.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.