Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency-Scan Phase Delay Measurement for Contact Resistance between Materials

DanielSEllis Plasma Engineering/Physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am attempting to use COMSOL to simulate the temperature response at a surface (1-D model) at a range of frequencies (1 Hz to 10 kHz) under the influence of a sinusoidal heat source. I am then using MATLAB to do a Fourier transform of the surface temperature response as well as the heat source. The phase delay between the heat source and the surface temperature is a function of the heat source's frequency. In theory, the heat flux from the source penetrates into the material increasingly shallow as the frequency increases, with the phase delay being influenced by the material the heat flux goes through. When two dissimilar materials have an interface with a contact resistance, the phase delay as a function of the heat source frequency behaves in a specific manner.

The potential issue I am having is not being able to accurately model this using COMSOL. The phase delay as a function of frequency curve of a validated study is shown here.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qwd3WKVZcSQZoc7Vz9VJceKM6I_F9g35/view?usp=sharing

While the modelled phase delay through COMSOL data is here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IkCjgEnoVT6WLQ1dbsanuHsjgiePOFZY/view?usp=sharing

I have tried increasing mesh density, increasing the length of time taking data at a given frequency, and have triple-checked the boundary conditions to make sure they match the values used to compute the theoretical phase delay curve. Everything seems to converge on the modelled phase delay curve. I am not familiar with changing the solver configurations, etc. but I have tried a little. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with these kinds of simulations that could help me?

0 Replies Last Post Mar 3, 2020, 4:46 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello DanielSEllis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.