Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence problem in modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am a begginer in comsol multiphysics. I am going through the calculation of scattering cross section from gold nanoparticle situated over a dielectric substarte. There is a very nice example in webpage: https://uk.comsol.com/model/scatterer-on-substrate-14699. i have modified the scatterer as a nanorod. The simulation is running very well for a single wavelength (convergence plot shows a proper graph). But surprisingly when I use a parametric range of wavelength, it is not running (does not show proper convergence graph). It would be really great if someone helps me to find out the right solution. Eagerly waiting for your solution. Kind Regards Achyut

1 Reply Last Post Mar 11, 2020, 11:03 a.m. EDT
Lars Dammann COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 11, 2020, 11:03 a.m. EDT

Hi, it looks like the particle and the substrate are tangentially touching. This will create a corner just below the particle, where mesh elements are forced to be very flat. This is bad for convergence. A quick way to fix this might be to put a finite distance between the particle and thesubstrate and put a relatively fine mesh between the two objects, to resolve the near-fields there. This is just a guess, though. If you have a license which is under subscription, you may be better of contacting support@comsol.com, you will get much more elaborate help there.

Hi, it looks like the particle and the substrate are tangentially touching. This will create a corner just below the particle, where mesh elements are forced to be very flat. This is bad for convergence. A quick way to fix this might be to put a finite distance between the particle and thesubstrate and put a relatively fine mesh between the two objects, to resolve the near-fields there. This is just a guess, though. If you have a license which is under subscription, you may be better of contacting support@comsol.com, you will get much more elaborate help there.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.